[kictanet] Inside the two years that shook Facebook and the world

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Mar 2 05:47:38 EAT 2018

Listers

Reading WIRED’s indepth story of Facebook’s nightmarish two years when it was embroiled in a deep soul search of what it was reminds me of how Brands today miss out on one of the most fundamental concepts of how Brands evolve. Roger McNamee an early Facebook investor and Mentor to the CEO couldn’t have put it better:-

  “You can assert till you’re blue in the face that you’re a platform, but if your users take a different point of view, it doesn’t matter what you assert.”

There in lies one of the biggest conundrums in #ModernMarketing. It is particularly ironic that the mother of all #SocialMedia platforms missed this basic fact of how Brands evolve in the age of Social Media. It doesn’t matter a rat’s ass how you position yourself as a Brand when you are out of touch with your core customer base and how they perceive you. It’s abit of an oxymoron because Savvy Marketers would know that to get positioning right you might want to understand your customer. :-)

So the problem with Facebook and other social media platforms is this:-

Are they a News Operation or are they a neutral platform that exists to give voice to anyone who wants to use the platform #FakeNews be damned. This Wired story riveted me. You should read it too.

https://www.wired.com/story/inside-facebook-mark-zuckerberg-2-years-of-hell/?utm_campaign=digest&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nuzzel

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."  ~ Aristotle

Sent from my iPad