[kictanet] Domestic Outsourcing Studies

Paul Kukubo ICT Board pkukubo at ict.go.ke
Tue Mar 29 22:36:18 EAT 2011

Edwin

The reason the South Africa meeting did not take place end 2009 was that our South African counterparts were not ready and frankly, neither were we. The idea still makes sense and our thinking might be that we focus on getting entrepreneurs to meet with prospective business partners. Contrary to the view then, South Africa is not a spillover market from where we can get business that they are not able to service. But it offers a good location for partnerships that require leveraging on skill. We maintain close contact with the sector. If you have any new feedback please share.

The Kenya ICT Board tracks seats within the BPO sector has on a regular basis as part of our reporting on performance contracting. In obtaining information, we maintain that Individual company contracts are not for public discussion unless of course the said company authorizes so I cannot tell you who does what. However everything that has been said is important and your qualitative comments on the sector and why local companies don't outsource is true.

People don't outsource unless they see value. Period. For many companies locally, it is early days. And we must not give up educating. This is not an ICT issue. It is a business process issue.

I can however tell you that every single time we advertise or put out a tender and someone wins it, i bet a job is created and a company grows. (I have kept this forum in the loop).

Please help us to widen the interest by local firms in all manner of opportunities. There are plenty and no one should be deterred. International business is great and has high job creation potential but the factors are sometimes beyond our control. Even one media report can have an negative impact. Dare I say,even what you right here and how you say it can have an impact.  Keep it progressive and you will be amazed.

I had some investors in last week to visit very specific shortlisted firms. They came in during the week our university students were raising issues on the unfortunate death of their colleague. Because of the amount of preparatory work the investor had done and their local prospective firms had done, they were not deterred and did not read the mood wrongly. This is a change from a few years ago. They will be investing money in one or two other companies. When a s sector starts to attract international capital, that is exciting and proof enough.

The hungry business types locally will always carry the day.

We are making progress and keeping our eye on the prize. Kenya's ICT sector is attracting a lot of positive attention. Please be a part of this train.

As ante

Paul Kukubo.

Sent from my iPad