[kictanet] customer service commitments from service providers

muriuki mureithi mureithi at summitstrategies.co.ke
Thu Dec 31 13:08:07 EAT 2009

After the announcement of KCPE results on 29th , I and I believe many other
Kenyans sent   sms's  through 2228 to get the results without success . for
each sums I sent I discharged my  obligation and was charged ksh20 to get
service. After 5hrs I got responses from 2 sms's  but  for all the other
sms, I never got a response  and I have not been refunded  the money
deducted  .  Some customer service issues arise;

-          1) when is a service deemed to have been rendered by a service
provider? Can  a service provider delay a response for 5 hrs and claim to
have provided a service?

-          2)my contract for cellular service is to Safaricom  who charged
me for all the  sms I sent, when I called the customer service I was told
the failure belonged to a service provider contracted by KNEC and could I
call them. I declined to call them because  I have no contractual relations
with them. What is the obligation of the cellular operator  when they charge
on behalf of a third party  who does not provide the service?

-          3) Examination results by there scale  provide the best platform
to show that the ICT system have come of age. KCPE was a great platform,
KCSE is just round the corner , what went wrong  and what strategies are
being put in place to avoid such terrible failures in future?

Cheers

Muriuki Mureithi