[kictanet] U.S. FTA Agreement

Erick Mwangi erick.mwangi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 12:54:08 EAT 2020

Listers,

There are a lot of things going on here, the spirit of AfCTA is to
discourage bilateral TAs but again self interest trumps everything. US FTAs
with developing countries are usually quite predictable save for few issues
ie Taxation, beneficial ownership etc.

That said, I think TAs are overrated, US/India have traded for more than 30
years on human ICT without any deal as it were - India produces the best
ICT brains, the US buys them, no questions asked, no favours demanded. Most
trade deals are political (agency grandstanding), citizens of different
countries trade with each other because it's beneficial to them.

Take for example Pakistan, they are the biggest buy of KE tea. The simple
reason is because they cannot bear to import tea from next door India,
however the suits will lead you to believe it's because of the KE-PAK trade
deal.

The UK recently announced that non-graduate Kenyans will be allowed to get
work permits and work in the UK, what you is not outlined is, when  UK
leaves the  EU on Jan 31, it will no longer access the Eastern Europe fruit
pickers/ packers and this is where our brothers and sisters come-in, again
some-one will stand on a podium with an ugly suit and say it's because of
the UK-KE trade deal.

Best

E Njoroge Mwangi
Technology| FINTECH | Big Data

Cell +44 7539372742
Skype: Erick.mwangi

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 9:42 AM Barrack Otieno via kictanet <