[kictanet] of Statistics...and Statistics..

Mose Karanja mosekaranja at gmail.com
Tue May 22 05:47:27 EAT 2018

This is an interesting discussion seeing how these figures are central to policy making.

The most widely available indicators are from the supply-side (reports from telecommunication operators) but they have significant concerns including over-counting due to multiple access devices or inactive subscriptions, and under-counting due to shared subscriptions. The demand-side indicators (household surveys, for example) are more reliable than supply side ones but they are expensive and thus limited in frequency.

The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) devoted considerable attention to accuracy of statistics in its 2016 ‘Measuring the Information Society Report’ which can be found here <https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Statistics/Pages/publications/mis2016.aspx>.

An interesting proposal - OTTs should report their country level statistics. WhatsApp, Telegram, for example, should give quarterly usage statistics, just like Safaricom gives tries to estimate user base. Or at least on request, such statistics should be available for policy and research development.

-Moses