[kictanet] of Statistics...and Statistics..

Adam Lane adam.lane at huawei.com
Tue May 22 11:40:46 EAT 2018

It’s common to only focus on population not land mass; Australia may be an extreme case but there they have 99% population covered by 3G or 4G, but only about 10% of the land.

Ideally it would be great to at least make a phone call in the middle of nowhere in case an emergency with cattle rustling or need of an ambulance but it is unlikely to happen: we just need to aim for 99% or so of population (probably with a definition of any settlement with greater than 500 people or so). As I discussed at ICT Week, our latest products lower their cost partly due to reducing the distance of the signal and thus only focusing on the few km where people live and not the empty area around. This would not fulfil current USF requirements though (Which require a larger coverage).
Adam