[kictanet] To save CA from bullies, restore its autonomy and independence

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at kictanet.or.ke
Wed Jan 24 22:20:58 EAT 2018

Thanks Grace for taking us down memory lane.

See Wangusi's viewpoint on what constitues an Independence Regulator.
This was eight (8) years ago when he was not at the helm:

WANGUSI, FRANCIS WANGUSI AT CCK.GO.KE  [1]

_Wed Nov 17 13:21:30 EAT 2010_

ofKenya-PolicyProcess [2]
Kenya [3]
[6] [ author ] [7]

-------------------------

Hi Folks, May I take this opportunity to sway you away from the
monotony of discussing where the next forum for deliberating on the
two bills should be to the real issues in the two bills. The two bills
are for the creation of independent institutions of the Media Council
and the Independent Communications Commission of Kenya. I must pat the
drafters of these two bills on their backs for having identified the
actual areas of concern and their attempts to realign them with
articles 34 (3) & (5) of the constitution. It is important for us to
address the issues raised in this bills in an attempt to come up with
bills that will guarantee the existence of a wide range of independent
and autonomous media in the broadcasting sub-sector. of course
proportionate regulation is essential to guarantee the freedom of
media while at the same time ensuring a balance between that freedom
and other legitimate rights and interests. Perhaps most importantly in
order to preserve broadcasting as part of the democratic process, we
should aim at creating independence in regulatory institutions dealing
with broadcasting in the sector. the question that begs in the minds
of many is who is real an independent regulator? According to Eva
Solomon, an independent regulator can be obtained by using the
following criteria; · Means of appointment: should be clearly set out
in law and should be done in a democratic and transparent manner. ·
Remit of the regulatory authority: duties and responsibilities of an
independent regulator should be clearly set out in law as should the
means through which they will be held accountable. · Terms for
termination of appointment: one of the most invidious ways in which a
regulatory authority can be subject to political pressure and
influence is through the threat of dismissal. Thus the law must state
clearly the factors which may lead to dismissal. · Funding: funding
can be used as a means of exerting political pressure. Terms of
funding should be set out in law, and whenever possible be kept
separate from any potential political interference. · Conflicts of
interest: apart from being independent of political forces, members of
the regulatory authority must be free from any potential personal
conflict of interest with the broadcasting sector. Perhaps, based on
the above arguments, folks; you can analyze the two bills and see if
they actually meet the above criteria and/or propose appropriate
changes in order to expedite the process before the next forum. I want
to propose that in order to overcome the potential contravention of
chapter 15 of the new constitution, the Independent Communications
Commission of Kenya be named Independent Communications Regulatory
Authority of Kenya (ICRAK). From: kictanet-bounces+wangusi=cck.go.ke
at lists.kictanet.or.ke [8] [mailto:kictanet-bounces+wangusi=cck.go.ke
at lists.kictanet.or.ke [8]] On Behalf Of Walubengo J Sent: Wednesday,
November 17, 2010 11:15 AM To: Wangusi, Francis Cc: KICTAnet ICT
Policy Discussions Subject: Re: [kictanet] Independent Communications
Commission ofKenya-Policy Process

Best regards

Githaiga, Grace

On Wednesday, 24-01-2018 at 20:09 Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via kictanet