[kictanet] Data Protection & Residency

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 17:52:26 EAT 2018

Apart from data protection from a privacy (citizen) point of view we need
to protect the integrity of data at go.ke locations/premises.

Data redundancy is a condition created within a database or data storage
technology in which the same piece of data is held in two separate places.
This can mean two different fields within a single database, or two
different spots in multiple software environments or platforms...
https://www.techopedia.com/definition/18707/data-redundancy

The Data Protection act must require data redundancy at different go.ke
locations/premises. Data stored on paper must be digitized and stored
(backed up) at different locations.

*Some examples of fires (to destroy paper data storage) started after
midnight (between 12.30am and 3am)*

(i) 2004 - City Hall, Nairobi.. http://news.bbc.co.
uk/2/hi/africa/3524855.stm

(ii) 2014 - Kilifi ..
https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000101263/crucial-documents-lost-as-chief-s-office-razed-in-arson-attack

(iii) 2015 - again, City Hall, Nairobi .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=W1r6wAT5EqU

(iv) 2016 - Vihiga..
https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2016/12/vihiga-county-offices-burnt-arson-attack/

(v) 2017 - Homabay.. https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/
2001253910/fire-razes-homa-bay-county-government-headquarters

(vi) 2018, this weekend, Kitui.. https://www.the-star.co.ke/
news/2018/02/25/kitui-county-offices-razed-to-the-ground-
in-night-fire_c1720294 .. Affected departments include Tourism and Culture,
Human Resources and Payroll, Education and ICT as well as Minerals and
Natural resources.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 7:16 PM, Barrack Otieno via kictanet <

> Dear Ali  and Muraya,
>
> I agree with you. I hope this time round we have members of parliament
> that can help us move the Data Protection agenda forward. Let us hope
> current politics will not affect this effort.
>
> Regards
>
> On 9/28/17, Admin CampusCiti via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
> wrote:
> > Personally I'm surprised that we are yet to have a Data Protection Law in
> > this country. This disconnect between policy, regulation and the reality
> on
> > the ground is scary. Reminds of the Government official defending the
> fact
> > that we have hotels and not enough stadiums so we should have hosted the
> > Africa CAF Championships!!
> >
> > Ali Hussein
> > Hussein & Associates
> > +254 0713 601113 / 0770906375
> >
> > Twitter: @AliHKassim
> > Skype: abu-jomo
> > LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
> > Blog: www.alyhussein.com
> >
> > "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking
> what
> > no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi
> >
> > Sent from my iPad
> >
> >> On 28 Sep 2017, at 10:25 AM, S.M. Muraya via kictanet
> >> <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
> >>
> >> Looking beyond the politics, interesting comments here.
> >>
> >> http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Raila-Odinga-drags-Safaricom-
> into-poll-dispute/1056-4112876-view-asAMP-aakx2sz/index.html
> >>
> >> With increasing demands for local data termination points, sooner (2017)
> >> or later (2018) a court order is going to require Data Residency in
> >> Kenya.
> >>
> >> Where are we on the Data Protection and Residency Act?
> >>
> >> It may not go well for technocrats caught off guard by a court order,
> >> inevitably coming.

> 40campusciti.com
> >>
> >> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform
> >> for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
> >> regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
> >> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
> >> development.
> >>
> >> KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
> >> online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
> bandwidth,
> >> share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy,
> do
> >> not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.
> >

> --
> Barrack O. Otieno
> +254721325277
> +254733206359
> Skype: barrack.otieno
> PGP ID: 0x2611D86A

> mailman/options/kictanet/murigi.muraya%40gmail.com

SMM

*"Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one
who takes a city." Prov 16:32*