[kictanet] Reversing MPESA Transactions in a Today's World

Timothy- Coach- Oriedo timoriedo at gmail.com
Fri May 12 07:26:48 EAT 2017

Hi Mercy

Have you tried the new safaricom App ? Get it from playstore and share your
experience.

It's has laid a foundation for live chatbot.

Timothy Oriedo

about.me/Timoriedo

On 12 May 2017 07:23, "kanini mutemi via kictanet" <

Hello everyone.

I've seen quite a number of complaints on people sending money to the wrong
number. Surprisingly a lot of these instances involve 50k and above. It
seems MPESA has left it up to the recepients to be kind enough to refund
money sent erroneously. I see why that would make sense to a business (2
transactions is better than one). Of course a lot of Kenyans will not
refund (tough economic times🤔)

I recently made a notable purchase from WordPress and realized only two
minutes later that I had bought the wrong product. Good thing they have
live chat for their customer support. No questions asked- they reversed the
transaction.

Now I realize the two are different; one is a seller the other one is a
conveyor belt. It got me thinking however- MPESA has to keep up with the
times. The explanation has always been that MPESA asks you to confirm
before you press send. The number of 'I sent Kshs. X to the wrong number'
posts on Buyer Beware should be enough to tell any caring provider that the
system is broken.

Digital products must be malleable and most importantly responsive to
customer needs. Which is why competition is healthy- it pushes companies to
care about the needs of its customers.

Have a great day ahead.
--
*Mercy Mutemi, Advocate*.

mailman/options/kictanet/timoriedo%40gmail.com

The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform for
people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.

KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth,
share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.