[kictanet] PRE KIGF ONLINE DISCUSSIONS DAY 2- FAKE NEWS DURING ELECTIONEERING

kanini mutemi kaninimutemi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 21:42:08 EAT 2017

I think we need to revisit this conversation especially the consensus on a
more responsible media. This article paints a different picture- that
mainstream media itself is under seige. So dire is the situation that
automatic bots sponsoring fake news have messed up with Google's algorithms
making it that much harder to ID FAKE news. In which case, try as they may-
the mainstream media may have already lost the war.

Again I ask, what harm (real or potential) does FAKE news present? Do we
need to pay attention or do we have better Kenyan problems to deal with?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/26/robert-mercer-breitbart-war-on-media-steve-bannon-donald-trump-nigel-farage

*Mercy Mutemi, Advocate*.