[kictanet] Consumer protection a means of cutting Safaricom’s dominance

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Feb 21 23:12:15 EAT 2017

So technically, we want to break up Safaricom so that these companies
can gain some traction  "Airtel, has made cumulative debt to date of
Sh51 billion, according to latest audited accounts for the financial
year 2015. Indeed, in the league of loss makers, only Kenya Airways,
with their Sh54 billion lost in the most recent years, compares to
Airtel. As a matter of fact, the numbers in the company’s annual
accounts show that Airtel is insolvent and only surviving on life
support from the parent company in India. Safaricom’s only other
rival, Orange Telkom, has gone through exceedingly difficult trading
and financial conditions over the past decade. This a firm that is
technically insolvent. It has gone through several episodes of
restructuring that have not materially changed its circumstances."
Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
twitter.com/lordmwesh