[kictanet] Consumer protection a means of cutting Safaricom’s dominance

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Feb 22 04:37:22 EAT 2017

@Mwendwa and all

it looks like that's what the consultant is suggesting.

Here are two other excerpts from the report that I find interesting:-

The most draconian of the prescriptions is the proposal to functionally separate M-Pesa from Safaricom. This is tantamount to proposing a break-up of Safaricom because in terms of growth revenues, M-Pesa is on track to reach 50 per cent of the company’s net revenues. The consultants have also proposed what they call “mandatory wallet-to wallet interoperability”, a system where a consumer can keep cloud accounts across the platforms of different mobile companies, making it possible to move and shift money between accounts as one chooses.

I have said before and I'm happy to repeat this again. Separating M-Pesa from Safaricom should not be forced on Safaricom. In my humble opinion Safaricom should by now have done this voluntarily as a strategic imperative to transform itself into the De-Facto National (Regional) Mobile Payment System. I think the lost opportunity here can be seen by the KBA launching a rival Mobile Platform called PesaLink.

The mandatory 'Wallet to Wallet' interoperability is an interesting angle and needs to seriously be considered. This sort of compliments my point above.

They have also recommended a system that they call “agent to agent interoperability”, where agents will be able to support multiple mobile money platforms using what is described in technical language as “a single float”.

This is certainly interesting. In as much as this supports the notion of 'User or Customer Experience'  I think the Regulator and the Telcos should work towards ensuring this becomes a reality. In essence this could be a solution to the allegations that Safaricom discourages its agent network from dealing with rival Telcos.

Lastly, I would largely concur with Jaindi Ksero's conclusion (sort of) that the Consultant has displayed a lack of knowledge in the functioning of our national payments system. I would however like to add one for the road:-

Are our Regulators (CA, CAK and CBK)  prepared to empower, grow and regulate with a light touch the seemingly fluid Telco, Banking, Payments and Fintech Spaces while ensuring that:-

a) They embrace innovation and new thinking while protecting National Interests and consumers at the same time?

b) They work together without resorting to Turf Wars as evidenced in the tiff between the CA and the CAK in 2015.
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Competition--telecoms-watchdogs-to-seek-truce-over-Safaricom-/539550-2707286-lqu5sez/index.html

c) They consider creating a Joint Task Force to monitor, encourage and empower players in the spaces mentioned to become Regional and Global Players? I have often wondered aloud about the CBK's core mandate of protecting Depositors' funds and wondered (again aloud) whether this mandate is outdated and that it should be expanded to that of becoming an empowering public entity that encourages research, innovation and entrepreneurship in the burgeoning convergence of Banking, Telcos, Payments and Fintech Spaces.
d) Regulatory tools need to be rebooted and upgraded to reflect the times. The current scenarios are such that one doesn't even know anymore which industry one operates in.

This is a plea for the Regulation Mandates to drastically change and embrace the now and the future.

Can the Future Czars step up?

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."  ~ Aristotle

Sent from my iPad