[kictanet] Consumer protection a means of cutting Safaricom’s dominance

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at kictanet.or.ke
Tue Feb 21 22:48:48 EAT 2017

Jaindi Kisero gives us a glimpse of the competition study in the
telecommunication sub-sector undertaken by Ms Analysys Mason on behalf
of CA. See full article:

"I recently came across a report by the consulting group Analysys
Mason entitled "A telecommunication competition market study in
Kenya". Readers will recall that these consultants were retained by
the market regulator – the Communications Authority of Kenya – to
conduct a study whose results were to inform the crafting of a new
framework for regulating abuse of market dominance by the big players.

As expected, one of the key findings of this study is that
Safaricom’s market share in both the mobile communications and
mobile money segments far exceed the thresholds where firms are
typically presumed to be dominant."

http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/consumer-protection-a-means-of-cutting-safaricom-dominance/440808-3822560-jsmlpbz/index.html

Best regards

Githaiga, Grace

Co-Convenor
Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet)
Twitter:@ggithaiga
Tel: 254722701495
Skype: gracegithaiga
Alternate email: ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gracegithaiga
www.kictanet.or.ke

"Change only happens when ordinary people get involved, get engaged
and come together to demand it. I am asking you to believe. Not in my
ability to bring about change – but in yours"---Barrack Obama.