[kictanet] Fwd:[ALAC] .africa news and the business of Domains

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Sun Feb 12 14:22:31 EAT 2017

Hi Kivuva - it's all speculation but in the coming future I see (using
your examples) more of Nakumatt.*store* or Nakumatt.*shop*,
Equity*.bank*, AGOA*.trade*, Dangote.cement etc. If geographic identity
would be so crucial then I would rather expect more granulation rather
than aggregation to indicate a registrant's location:  Nakumatt.tz,
Nakumatt.ug, Nakumatt.ng, Nakumatt.nairobi, Nakumatt.eldoret,
Nakumatt.kawangware etc.

.Africa to me is an overrated expectation; once in a while in the IT
world we get this kind of thing that is pushed with excitement as a game-
changer or big bang but eventually turns out to be much ado about
nothing as well as having no demonstrable benefit to the common man
walking on the street.

W.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017, at 05:27 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet wrote:

> There is an obvious worry by ccTLDs that  this new string will steal
> business from them. But that view is unfounded.
> .Africa will attract brands that perceive themselves as African
> centric... For example  East African Community will not need to use
> .int domain. Some other brands are East Africa IGF, Africa IGF, NEPAD,
> AGOA, Dangote, Nakumatt, Equity bank, (insert here any regional or
> Global brand). This space is not controlled by ccTLDs, but by gTLDs
> like .com .net .org and .biz
> There will also be domainers who will run after dictionary names, and
> African names which are adword friendly, and which are easy to squat
> on. This will be good for the administrators of .AFRICA because they
> will get the much needed revenue to cover their costs, especially now
> that the legal battle may have taken them on a financial marathon. I
> cannot even imagine the value of Safari.africa, but I'm damn sure the
> ZACRA guys have already put that domain on premium sunrise
> application. There is no cause for worry because the .africa string
> went through the Trade Mark Protection period some years back. I
> remember Alice Munyua leading this process on this platform for
> protecting Kenyan based trademarks and heritage.
> I've been in the DNS industry for more than a decade, and I know what
> I'm saying. And I say :-)
>

> On Feb 11, 2017 4:08 PM, "Dorcas Muthoni via kictanet"
> <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>> When are we likely to be able to use. africa,  I am definitely
>> interested in this.
>>

>> On Feb 11, 2017 12:18, "Ali Hussein via kictanet"
>> <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>> Waudo

>>> My take is this:-

>>> 1. From a corporate perspective the idea is not to necessarily make
>>>    money but for defensive registration to protect the brand. Like
>>>    .google or .coke etc.
>>>

>>> 2. For Geo Domains the attraction is obvious. Whether they will make
>>>    money or not is up in the air and depends on Positioning.
>>>    Something that the DNS Community needs to learn.
>>>
>>>  My business sense though tells me that this space hasn't even been
>>>  scratched yet. In a series of Capacity Building Seminars that ICANN
>>>  held in 2015 through 2016 for the DNS Sector in Africa it became
>>>  obvious that:-
>>>

>>> a) The space is virgin territory in terms of being exploited

>>> b) Marketing and online fulfillment is an area that requires great
>>>    attention
>>> c) That ICANN is committed to helping the sector grow and realize
>>>    its potential
>>>

>>> We in the sector need to do our part and sensitize all players to
>>> come to the table.
>>>

>>> There's more to real estate than a plot in Kitengela. There are
>>> prime positions to be had online.. :-).
>>>

>>> Ali Hussein

>>> Principal

>>> Hussein & Associates

>>> +254 0713 601113[1]

>>> Twitter: @AliHKassim

>>> Skype: abu-jomo

>>> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim

>>> "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act
>>> but a habit."  ~ Aristotle
>>>

>>>  Sent from my iPad

>>>  The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder
>>>  platform for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT
>>>  policy and regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for
>>>  reform in the ICT sector in support of the national aim of ICT
>>>  enabled growth and development.
>>>
>>>  KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable
>>>  behaviors online that you follow in real life: respect people's
>>>  times and bandwidth, share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or
>>>  personalize, respect privacy, do not spam, do not market your wares
>>>  or qualifications.

>>  The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder
>>  platform for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT
>>  policy and regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for
>>  reform in the ICT sector in support of the national aim of ICT
>>  enabled growth and development.
>>
>>  KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable
>>  behaviors online that you follow in real life: respect people's
>>  times and bandwidth, share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or
>>  personalize, respect privacy, do not spam, do not market your wares
>>  or qualifications.

> Twitter: http://twitter.com/kictanet

> https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/emailsignet%40mailcan.com
>

> The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder
> platform for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT
> policy and regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for
> reform in the ICT sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled
> growth and development.

> online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
> bandwidth, share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize,
> respect privacy, do not spam, do not market your wares or
> qualifications.

Links:

  1. tel:0713%20601113