[kictanet] Fwd:[ALAC] .africa news and the business of Domains

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Sat Feb 11 17:27:51 EAT 2017

There is an obvious worry by ccTLDs that  this new string will steal
business from them. But that view is unfounded.

.Africa will attract brands that perceive themselves as African centric...
For example  East African Community will not need to use .int domain. Some
other brands are East Africa IGF, Africa IGF, NEPAD, AGOA, Dangote,
Nakumatt, Equity bank, (insert here any regional or Global brand). This
space is not controlled by ccTLDs, but by gTLDs like .com .net .org and
.biz

There will also be domainers who will run after dictionary names, and
African names which are adword friendly, and which are easy to squat on.
This will be good for the administrators of .AFRICA because they will get
the much needed revenue to cover their costs, especially now that the legal
battle may have taken them on a financial marathon. I cannot even imagine
the value of Safari.africa, but I'm damn sure the ZACRA guys have already
put that domain on premium sunrise application. There is no cause for worry
because the .africa string went through the Trade Mark Protection period
some years back. I remember Alice Munyua leading this process on this
platform for protecting Kenyan based trademarks and heritage.

I've been in the DNS industry for more than a decade, and I know what I'm
saying. And I say :-)

On Feb 11, 2017 4:08 PM, "Dorcas Muthoni via kictanet" <