[kictanet] Talk-2-Safaricom, Day 2 of 6:-Competition Issues

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 08:16:49 EAT 2017

We wish to thank all those who managed to contribute on Day 1, Consumer Issues.  Feel free to throw in some belated questions for Day1 - as long as you keep the relevant subject line.
Today we move onto Day2 issues that deal with competition/ market dominance issues.
The currentdata from CA (Q1, 2016-17) could be a useful guideline for the dominance debate.It  gives Safcom the following marketshares:-

a)   Mobile Subscriber population (69% of allsubscribers, closest rival has 17.5%)

b)   Voice Traffic (76% of all mobile voice traffic,closest rival is at 13.8%)

c)   Data/Internet Subsector, (63.2% ofmobile internet subscriptions, closest rival is at 21%)

d)   Mobile Money Transactions ( 81% of allmobile money transactions, closest rival is at 16%)

I am sure we cannot ask or blame Safaricom for what it may consider a successful state of affairs :-)
So please share your perspective as to whether or not Safaricom is dominant in the following sub-sectors and whether or not some intervention is required from the regulator in as far as making the market more competitive.

Lets have your views, floor is open.
----thematic areas---1. Consumer Issues Day,

2. Competition Issues Day,

3. Innovators, Innovations &Suppliers Day,

4. Infrastructure & Universal AccessDay,

5. Technology & Elections Day