[kictanet] Day 2(a) of 3: 2016 ICT Year in Review Feedback - Human Capital Feedback

Wambui Wambui wwamunyu2009 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 16:49:38 EAT 2016

Interesting reading this. Here are some thoughts.

*a) 41% of the respondents felt that the government had provided sufficient
ICT opportunities for the youth to a moderate extent. 30% however felt
youth opportunities had not been effectively provided, while 27% felt it
had been done to a large extent.*

Comment: Not clear what ‘sufficient ICT opportunities’ means. But the
question is whether all youth, rural- or urban-based, have the same
opportunities. One area is about access to Internet. Since access is
currently in the hands of private telcos, is there a place for a public
access provider (in the same way that KBC is a public media broadcaster)
that can ensure some kind of access for all?

*c) 40% of the respondents felt that tertiary institutions were, to a
moderate extent providing the requisite skill set for the ICT industry. 34%
felt they were to a large extent providing these skills while 24% felt they
were not.*

Comment: A rather optimistic response, I thought. There may be internet
infrastructure and access at universities through KENET for example. But
the training provided at tertiary institutions on ICTs is another matter.
First of all, what kind of training? If it’s technical (learning how to
use/apply hardware and software), it’s probably restricted to particular
programs e.g. Computer Science. But training should also include some
literacy e.g. being ethical with ICTs, privacy considerations, etc. It
should also not only be for students, but for faculty and staff as well. A
few years ago there was a big push to include HIV/AIDS information within
university curricula. Mainstreaming HIV/AIDS, I think was the term used. A
similar thing could be done with ICT technical and literacy training,
availed to students, staff and faculty.

*e) Provide general ICT literacy programmes to the public, Coding as a
skill to all students – irrespective of discipline, Continuity in
government offices (rather than sabotage of previous holder initiatives),
Improve Academia- Government-Industry linkages, Cryptography training,
Identify and support Technology Universities, Promote Incubation Center,
Have mechanisms to weed out ICT quacks, Provide ICT scholarships,
Standardize ICT Trainings, Digitization of key services - police occurrence
books, land registries should be availed to the youth.*

Comment: Encourage research on tech in academia. Too much of this is
happening in the private sector which has narrow research interests.
Supporting research in universities broadens what, who, and where is
researched.  The improvement of academia-government-industry linkages could
incorporate this.

Encourage the digital sharing of state-held data and link it to the new
Freedom of Information Act that ensures citizens can gain access to
information held in publicly funded institutions e.g the OB book, budgets
and their usage, etc.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 4:26 AM, Walubengo J via kictanet <