[kictanet] Day 2(b) of 3: 2016 ICT Year in Review Feedback - Infrastructure Feedback

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 12:33:00 EAT 2016

As mentioned in previous email, today we have to tackle feedback from the two thematic areas - Human Capital and Infrastructure so that we can finalize tommorrow and consolidate further comments in time for the Friday 2nd  for the Face2Face cocktail.
Feel free to comment on either or both, just keep the correct subject lines for easier processing.
The Infrastructure feedback was as follows:
a) 49% of the respondents felt that the quality of theircommunication service was adequate to a moderate extent. 29% felt it wasadequate to a very large extent while 21% felt it was not adequate.

b) 45% of the respondents felt that the issue of infrastructuresharing (e.g sharing common data ducts) had not been achieved. 40% felt it hadbeen moderately achieved while 13% felt it was achieved to a large extent.c) 38% of the respondents felt that the cost of user devices(phones, laptops, etc) was to a moderate extent affordable and reliable. 30% felt they were to a large extent affordable while another 30% felt theywere not affordable to a very large extent

d) 40% of the respondents felt that the digital migration hashad a positive impact to a very large extent. 33% felt the impact wasmoderate while 15% felt there was no impact.

e) The following were some of the infrastructure issues thatwere not yet addressed.

Internet prices still too high, QoS should be standardizedacross all regions, Set-Top-Box for digital TV still expensive, No policy onGreen Energy and e-Waste, Sections of rural Kenya still have no access, Havepolicy on Community Networks to support marginalized areas, Poor utilization ofNOFBI, County wayleave permits too expensive,Lack of infrastructure sharing,Provide free Public Wifi hotspots,

 Floor is open, we shall have upto mid-day tomorrow on both thematic areas.