[kictanet] Day 2(a) of 3: 2016 ICT Year in Review Feedback - Human Capital Feedback

Grace Mutung'u nmutungu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 19:38:54 EAT 2016

​​Hi Walu,
My comments inline.
Regards,

> Summary feedback on Human Capital was as follows with detailed document
> attached.
>
> *a) 41% of the respondents felt that the government had provided
> sufficient ICT opportunities for the youth to a moderate extent. 30%
> however felt youth opportunities had not been effectively provided, while
> 27% felt it had been done to a large extent.*

​I look forward though to the day when we move from quantity matters( how
many youth were provided with opportunities) to quality matters (who are
these youth? how did the opportunities change their communities? has
providing youth with opportunities helped us to curb rural urban migration
etc) ​

> *b) 58% of the respondents felt that the DLP (Laptop Project) will have a
> positive impact to a very large extent. 30% felt it would be a moderate
> impact while 12% think it will have little or no impact.*

​I have great faith in the DLP project. I hope that by the time DLP
children complete KCPE, many will be curious about technology and that
 those who join youth polytechnics will be able to assemble rudimentary
computers, or whatever we shall be calling them in those days. ​

> *c) 40% of the respondents felt that tertiary institutions were, to a
> moderate extent providing the requisite skill set for the ICT industry. 34%
> felt they were to a large extent providing these skills while 24% felt they
> were not.*

​Maybe it is a bigger problem with the education system but really, the gap
between graduates and markets still exists. I wonder what impact technical
education through TIVETs and Technical universities is having in bridging
the gap​
​. ​And overall, what tech is coming out of universities anyway since the
role of the universities cannot be relegated to merely churning
graduates....

> *d) 40% of the respondents felt that Konza City will have a positive
> impact to a very large extent. 21% felt it will be a moderate impact while
> 25% think it will have no impact.*

​Konza city will also have non ICT related impacts....most obvious being
the value of land around that area. ​

> *e) Provide general ICT literacy programmes to the public, Coding as a
> skill to all students – irrespective of discipline, Continuity in
> government offices (rather than sabotage of previous holder initiatives),
> Improve Academia- Government-Industry linkages, Cryptography training,
> Identify and support Technology Universities, Promote Incubation Center,
> Have mechanisms to weed out ICT quacks, Provide ICT scholarships,
> Standardize ICT Trainings, Digitization of key services - police occurrence
> books, land registries should be availed to the youth.*

​In addition, let Government lead from the front by purchasing/promoting
local ICT products....Is there an e-citizen app yet?  ​

> Toa maoni (let hear your reactions)
>
> walu.

Grace L.N. Mutung'u
Nairobi Kenya