[kictanet] Permission Marketing and misuse of customer data by Telcos

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Nov 14 06:07:50 EAT 2016

Dear All

I woke up this morning to find myself registered by a Telco for a service I
do not want.

[5:59 AM, 11/14/2016] +254 713 601113: You have successfully subscribed to
the SKIZA Tunes service.Your password to log on to www.skiza.safaricom.com
is xxxx.
[5:59 AM, 11/14/2016] +254 713 601113: Your SKIZA Tune <Customized Skiza
Tune> was set successfully.
[5:59 AM, 11/14/2016] +254 713 601113: You have successfully downloaded
SKIZA Tune  Customized Skiza Tune .The tune will be renewed at KES 1.00
daily.To delete dial *811#.

I thought these things shouldn't happen anymore?

Why would Safaricom tell me that I have subscribed to SKIZA Tune when I did
not? And proceed to tell me they will deduct Kshs. 1 per day for this? And
if I want to unsubscribe/delete then I should dial *811#?

Who gave them the permission to subscribe me in the first place?

Maybe my phone was hacked and someone registered me by mistake?

At this point I'm giving Safaricom the benefit of doubt since just two
weeks ago the CEO, Bob Collymore gave us his assurance that such behavior
by PRSPs is frowned upon by his organisation.

Regards

*Ali Hussein*

*Principal*

*Hussein & Associates*

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

13th Floor , Delta Towers, Oracle Wing,

Chiromo Road, Westlands,

Nairobi, Kenya.

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.