[kictanet] [isoc_ke] BitHub: BLOCKCHAINS - Get in the Conversation and Perhaps Conversion..Digital Currency

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed May 18 09:58:04 EAT 2016

John

Probably the most comprehensive and easily understood description and opportunity of Blockchain Technology I've seen or heard in a while!

Thank you.

Some concerns/comments:-

1. In 2014 42 major global banks joined a consortium to explore the Blockchain space. These include  Barclays (which is incubating a Blockchain startup in a South Africa), Citi, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, BNP Parabas, Societe General, Wells Fargo and others. Of note:- No African Bank is in the consortium. Axis Bank, an Indian bank is pursuing its own platform. As are a number of Indian IT and consulting firms.

Should we worry?

2. There seems at the moment to be a major concern in various sectors in Kenya about this new tech platform. The case of BitPesa, Kipochi and Lipisha is still fresh in my mind. What I'm concerned about is that if we don't quickly bring the regulator and other players upto speed on this new tech platform our claim to fame since the Mpesa heydays will be like continuing to brag about the discovery of the wheel.

3. How can we ensure that Kenya continues to be at the bleeding age of Fintech technologies by making Blockchain Technology ubiquitous? After all Kenyans have shown the affinity for digital money adoption.

4. How can we remove the fear of disruption by the current players? And get them on board thinking like scrappy startups? My deep suspicion is that the woes this technology is facing in the country is as a result of:-
a) A misunderstanding of Blockchain that it's a conduit for money laundering and Terrorist financing yet it's clear to some of us that BlockChains go beyond financial services and in fact WILL make transactions a lot more secure.
b) Fear of disruption. The thing about this is there just isn't any cure. It's simple. Eat or be eaten.

5. So while we lack regulatory direction we as a country need to move quickly to embrace BlockChain Technology just like we embraced M-Pesa and quickly put in place a regulatory environment to grow this space.

6. I'm sure Safaricom staffers are on this list. Shouldn't our Champion be at the forefront of this new dispensation?

Ali Hussein
Principal
Hussein & Associates
+254 0713 601113 / 0770906375

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi

Sent from my iPad