[kictanet] Technical Considerations for Internet Service Blocking and Filtering

Harry Delano harry26001 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 05:00:37 EAT 2016

Grace,

Quite a salient subject indeed, that the ietf makes an attempt to
shed/spotlight perspective on..

Drawing from experience, I suppose the foremost key objectives for blocking
and filtering would broadly fall under jurisdictional oversight & control
and informational security policing. For this very reason, the subject will
at best, forever remain contentious and controversial, depending on whose
perspective you seek on the matter. In other words, for a very long time to
come, it'll almost be impossible to achieve a universal, unanimous
consensus on a firewall that serves "everyone' "anywhere" in this
globalized networked digital village that cuts across diverse geopolitical,
religious,cultural,governance and even family or personal jurisdictions.

One would delve on and on in finer detail on the subject - and the scope is
hugely wide, just as the ietf has disclaimed. However, my best take-away
from such a rich discourse is, "Moderated Balance". Ideally, the basic
minimum threshold  should be; how to strive to achieve the most appropriate
concurrence where jurisdictional policing(which is necessary), either at
country/government level, corporate, or even at home - assuming you set up
a family firewall meets/embraces the inherent guaranteed/enshrined
universal freedoms of access to information..

But again, who should police/enforce the attainment of this moderation and
balance on jurisdictional authorities..? Using which methodologies..? Who
knows..

As ietf aptly puts it in their preamble ....  *"Whether particular forms of
filtering are lawful in particular jurisdictions raises complicate legal
questions that are outside the scope of this document. For similar reasons,
questions about the ethics of particular forms of filtering are also out of
scope"*

Plenty of regards,
Harry

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via kictanet <