[kictanet] Technical Considerations for Internet Service Blocking and Filtering

Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) nmutungu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 19:03:13 EAT 2016

Listers,
A very informative RFC especially in our context. It addresses use of
various technologies for blocking and filtering communications over the
Internet. Among other things considered are user consent when employing
blocking/filtering, who sets blocking policy? who enforces blocking policy?
Some purposes of blocking, efficacy of the methods as well as consequences.
Some takeaways are that we are going to see more blocking/filtering but it
would help if there was more transparency. ​And as regards content
blocking, a collaborative approach is required. ​

"where filtering is occurring to address content that is generally agreed
to be inappropriate or illegal, strong cooperation among service providers
and governments may provide additional means to identify both the victims
and the perpetrators through non-filtering mechanisms, such as partnerships
with the finance industry to identify and limit illegal transactions."

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7754

Regards,

--
Grace L.N. Mutung'u