[kictanet] On Homosexuality and Information Controls: Laws and Culture

Mose Karanja mosekaranja at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 17:00:55 EAT 2016

Mwendwa,

Thank you for the alexa research.
Just to ask a direct question, do you in your professional capacity acknowledge that LGBTQ rights are human rights?
That is a good place to start this conversation so we know where were are situated on this.

Moses.

KICTANet brings together people who are active on the promotion of technology in Kenya (and beyond). The enabling power of the Internet especially cannot happen if the vanguard of tech policy in Kenya
> On Feb 24, 2016, at 4:42 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:
>
> This debate takes us back to the debate we had on banning content
> contained in Netflix, and we asked why not ban Youtube and similar
> website? Well, it seems KFCB was listening. They have gone to YouTube.
>
> Now, I have done a very small unsolicited desktop research. I went to
> Alexa to see the top 100 most visited websites in Kenya.
> http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries;1/KE
>
> Of course I was expecting University websites, Library and research
> websites to lead the table. After all, Kenya is ranked as among the
> most research and innovation oriented countries in Africa. Shock on
> me.
>
> At Number 38 is xvideos, 64 is pornhub, 76 is bongacams. From those
> name alone, you can guess the content in the websites. I guess in some
> of the videos,the actors will not only be advocating for LGBT rights,
> they will be showcasing the acts that are "forbidden" by "us". There are
> many such websites with content that makes KFCB have sleepless nights.
> But who shall regulate the internet?
>
> These websites are very popular video sharing websites. and a big
> chunk of their content will not please KFCB. What is KFCB going to do
> about them?
>
> By the way, we have been complaining about the cost of Internet. Where
> do people get all the bandwidth? Please sambaza some to me.
>

> --
> Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
> twitter.com/lordmwesh

---