[kictanet] On homosexuality and Information Controls: Laws and Culture

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Feb 24 16:42:42 EAT 2016

This debate takes us back to the debate we had on banning content
contained in Netflix, and we asked why not ban Youtube and similar
website? Well, it seems KFCB was listening. They have gone to YouTube.

Now, I have done a very small unsolicited desktop research. I went to
Alexa to see the top 100 most visited websites in Kenya.
http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries;1/KE

Of course I was expecting University websites, Library and research
websites to lead the table. After all, Kenya is ranked as among the
most research and innovation oriented countries in Africa. Shock on
me.

At Number 38 is xvideos, 64 is pornhub, 76 is bongacams. From those
name alone, you can guess the content in the websites. I guess in some
of the videos,the actors will not only be advocating for LGBT rights,
they will be showcasing the acts that are "forbidden" by "us". There are
many such websites with content that makes KFCB have sleepless nights.
But who shall regulate the internet?

These websites are very popular video sharing websites. and a big
chunk of their content will not please KFCB. What is KFCB going to do
about them?

By the way, we have been complaining about the cost of Internet. Where
do people get all the bandwidth? Please sambaza some to me.