[kictanet] Cyber Security and Data Protection (Senate) Bill Viz Computer and Cyber Crimes Bill (Parliament) - Need for Harmonization

Nanjira Sambuli email at nanjira.com
Wed Aug 3 23:14:27 EAT 2016

Well, there is the matter of whether this is a Senate-level element of legislation, as Alex pointed out.

This cybersecurity space runs a big risk of being over-legislated, without coherence. This is a key finding from the mapping exercise we have been conducting. There is a serious need, not only for harmonisation of bills, but also of efforts to introduce legislative frameworks.

Will share more on our findings at the IGF next week.

> On 3 Aug 2016, at 20:57, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nanjira, Alex and Listers,
>
> I have perused the bill and have the following observations:
>
> 1. This bill is Sponsored by Hon Mutahi Kagwe Chairman of the Senate
> ICT Commitee whereas the Computer and Cybercrimes bill is Sponsored by
> Leader of the Majority Hon Duale
> 2. Both bills share the same objective, i have observed that Hon
> Duale's bill which was discussed on KICTANET last week is more
> punitive (Fines in Millions) while Hon Kagwe's is lenient (Fines are
> in hundreds of thousands.
> 3. I have observed that the Cyber Security and Protection Bill leans a
> lot towards critical Internet Infrastructure whereas the Computer and
> Cyber Crimes Bill focuses on Cyber crime and Child Online Protection,
> however both bills have strong emphasis on Cyber Security.
> 4. The Cyber Security and Protection Bill justifies the need for Cyber
> Security laws within the county government framework.
> 5. Overall both are good attempts but there is need for harmonization.
>
> Best Regards
>
> On 8/3/16, Alex Watila via kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>

>> Please note that senate only needs to be involved on laws touching on
>> county
>> functions listed in schedule 4 of cok 2010
>> <http://www.klrc.go.ke/index.php/constitution-of-kenya/167-schedules-schedul
>> es/fourth-schedule-distribution-of-functions-between-national-and-the-county
>> -governments/448-2-county-governments>
>>

>> My understanding is that cyber security is a national function
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Alex

Regards,
Nanjira.

www.nanjira.com <http://www.nanjira.com/>

About.Me <http://about.me/ninanjira>| Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/ninanjira>| LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/nanjira>| Skype <http://hatscripts.com/addskype?nanjirasambuli>
IM: +254722481566 (WhatsApp | Telegram | iMessage)