[kictanet] Cyber Security and Data Protection (Senate) Bill Viz Computer and Cyber Crimes Bill (Parliament) - Need for Harmonization

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 20:57:03 EAT 2016

Hi Nanjira, Alex and Listers,

I have perused the bill and have the following observations:

1. This bill is Sponsored by Hon Mutahi Kagwe Chairman of the Senate
ICT Commitee whereas the Computer and Cybercrimes bill is Sponsored by
Leader of the Majority Hon Duale
2. Both bills share the same objective, i have observed that Hon
Duale's bill which was discussed on KICTANET last week is more
punitive (Fines in Millions) while Hon Kagwe's is lenient (Fines are
in hundreds of thousands.
3. I have observed that the Cyber Security and Protection Bill leans a
lot towards critical Internet Infrastructure whereas the Computer and
Cyber Crimes Bill focuses on Cyber crime and Child Online Protection,
however both bills have strong emphasis on Cyber Security.
4. The Cyber Security and Protection Bill justifies the need for Cyber
Security laws within the county government framework.
5. Overall both are good attempts but there is need for harmonization.

Best Regards

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277
+254733206359