[kictanet] Airtel wants piece of Google, Facebook revenues

Kipkemoi Kiptum kip at kipkemoi.com
Sat Jun 13 11:15:23 EAT 2015

Hello all,
I am no expert at this - but I have sympathy for people who sell bandwidth in an
unlimited way (Zuku, JTL, Telkom ADSL e.t.c.). They have to figure a profitable
way to share their upstream data capacity with their downstream customers -
without affecting the expectation of individual customers. Large capacity
services (Netflix, Dropbox e.t.c) can be a resource hog for them - “ messing” up bandwith plans.
Vendors who sell per MB rates - e.g. Safaricom, benefit increasingly as
consumption increases, they should probably be paying for the bandwidth
consuming applications that make them money.
Kip
A Cruce Salus