[kictanet] #KeIGF15 Online Discussions Day One: Inclusiveness and Diversity

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Jul 21 10:56:48 EAT 2015

On 21 July 2015 at 08:51, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via kictanet <

> @Mwendwa, could there also be a lack of awareness or information on
> USF/USAC?  Maybe if we had an idea about the projects and activities, we
> may be able to appreciate the fund....

Probably that is the case. Of course it's the work of CA and the USAC to
drum it's functions, and achievements to the general public. For example,
Vision2030 secretariat always ensure there is publicity for any
infrastructure project in Kenya by putting a huge billboard where such
events are happening. Before USAC post their achievements,  let me post
what is available in the 2014 annual report from CA.
http://ca.go.ke/images//downloads/PUBLICATIONS/ANNUALREPORTS/Annual%20Report%20for%20the%20Financial%20Year%202013-2014.pdf

5.2Universal Access Pilot Projects
 In preparation for the implementation of the USF, the Authority has
undertaken a number of pilot projects including: Schoolbased ICT centres,
Community ICT access points, ICT centres in learning institutions for
persons with disabilities, Web Portal for persons with disabilities and
E-Resource centres in KNLS community libraries. The pilot projects act as
test beds for future implementation of a national rollout.

5.2.1 Persons with Disabilities
 During the year under review, the Authority continued to support the
following ICT centres in learning institutions for persons with
disabilities namely: • Kibos Special School for the Visually Impaired
 • Joyland Special School for the Physically Disabled
 • Kuja Secondary School for the Hearing Impaired
 • St Lucy School for the Visually Impaired
 • Mombasa Secondary School for the Physically Disabled
 • Thika High School for the Blind
 • Rev Muhoro School for the Deaf
 • Machakos Technical Institute for the Blind

5.2.2 ICT Centres
 The Authority continued to facilitate the provision of maintenance service
for school-based ICT centres and Community ICT access points namely:
Mashuuru Secondary School, Kitundu Telecentre, Sirisia Telecentre, Sabatia
Telecentre, Wiyumiririe Secondary School and Kamunyaka Kiumu Secondary
School.

5.2.3 E-Resource Centres
 The Authority supported the establishment of E-Resource Centres in 10
community libraries managed by the Kenya National Library Services (KNLS)
in the FY 2012/13. It also supported the provision of internet connectivity
to these centres during this period. The performance of this pilot phase
has provided the Authority and the KNLS with adequate lessons for future
implementation of similar initiatives in other community libraries.

Regards
Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson