[kictanet] Brazilians Locked out of WhatsApp

Paul Roy roykoikai at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 13:31:09 EAT 2015

Ebele,

This is going to open a whole set of regulatory concerns around privacy vs.
security.

Following this keenly!

Paul Roy.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Ebele Okobi via kictanet <

> Uber moment? Tell me more!
>
> WhatsApp is protecting the privacy rights of its users-here's a FB post
> from WhatsApp's founder, Jan Koum (btw, when you get a chance, look up his
> personal history. It gives a sense of why he is so passionate about the
> right to privacy.)
>
> "We are disappointed in the short-sighted decision to cut off access to
> WhatsApp, a communication tool that so many Brazilians have come to depend
> on, and sad to see Brazil isolate itself from the rest of the world."
>
> Ebele Okobi | Head of Public Policy, Africa
>
> m. +44 (0) 771 156 1315 <+44%20(0)%20771%20156%201315>
>
> 10 Brock Street | London | NW1 3FG
>
> ebeleokobi at fb.com
>
> [image: 6F376569-CC77-422B-BAD3-794055B1E02B]
>
> On Dec 17, 2015, at 9:42 AM, Mose Karanja via kictanet <
>
> A Brazilian judge has ordered a 48 hour WhatsApp lockdown.
> The order claims WhatsApp refused to cooperate with Law Enforcement
> agencies on data handover.
> The harshness of the verdict is thus seen as a retaliation to show whois
> boss.
> However, there is the Telco Lobby pushing for regulation (that word again)
> of VOIP (WhatsApp calls) under the claim that Brazilians are no longer
> using voice calls and yet they are taxed for the spectrum which WhatsApp is
> not being taxed for since it is not classified as a Telco.
>
> You can read more here (in Portuguese):
>
> http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/mercado/2015/12/1719934-justica-determina-bloqueio-do-whatsapp-em-todo-brasil-por-48-horas.shtml
>
> or here in English
>
> http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/16/brazils-congress-has-shut-down-whatsapp-tonight-and-the-rest-of-the-social-web-could-be-next/?ncid=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29&utm_content=FaceBook&sr_share=facebook
> <http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/16/brazils-congress-has-shut-down-whatsapp-tonight-and-the-rest-of-the-social-web-could-be-next/?ncid=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Techcrunch+(TechCrunch)&utm_content=FaceBook&sr_share=facebook>
>
> An Uber-moment for WhatsApp.
> ---
> Moses Karanja | @Mose_Karanja <https://twitter.com/Mose_Karanja> | PGP:
> 0x1529552F
> <https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=index&fingerprint=on&search=0x1529552F>

"Change is slow and gradual. It requires hardwork, a bit of
luck, a fair amount of self-sacrifice and a lot of patience."

Roy.