[kictanet] Does cashless matatu system have a regulatory framework?

Adam Nelson adam at varud.com
Tue Nov 11 13:00:51 EAT 2014

It's not unreasonable to have a single, mandated card for this purpose.
New York's MetroCard is a great example (as is the Oyster Card).  Virtually
every city I've been to has one and only one card for mass transportation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetroCard_(New_York_City)

As with most things, NYC Transit outsources most of the underlying
infrastructure to a private company:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_Transportation_Systems

As long as the margins are well defined, there is little in-house fraud,
and the system generally works, the lack of competition isn't such a big
deal.  The most important thing is that the numbers are published and
audited regularly and that the underlying vendor can be replaced in the
future (i.e. Nairobi County maintains intellectual property over key assets
so there's no vendor lock-in beyond the contract period).

-Adam

--
Kili - Cloud for Africa: kili.io
Musings: twitter.com/varud <https://twitter.com/varud>

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet <