[kictanet] Security Situation in Kenya

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Mon Jun 16 15:09:22 EAT 2014

Walu,

There is something about "...great minds thinking alike...", so I might
have just confirmed that you are one.... :-)

If I remember correctly, after the Westgate Attack a committee headed by Dr
Ndemo was setup to look into what needs to be done to avoid another
Westgate Type Attack happening.

Thereafter, there was total silence from this committee, the next time I
heard anything come out of this committee is when they recommended the
Secure Network deal with Safaricom.

Naturally, it then leads you to believe that after some "....deep
analysis..." what this country needs is a Secure Network as a first step to
combating the terrorist threads.

But, and as I think quite a lot of us have said in these forums, that is
NOT a solution. Personally I think its probably not even a priority and
unfortunately our silence in the ICT community will be taken to mean that
we are agreeable that 'more-technology' is what this country needs.

Rgds