[kictanet] Just a thought

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Sun Jan 5 13:36:15 EAT 2014

I think you are getting me wrong on this one.

Technology is important and indeed required for our development. If you
look at my earlier post, I wrote that technology mostly easens that which
we want to do. Thats why we use cars and planes for instance to travel
large distances as opposed to walking.

However,  IMO, there is a tendency to use technology as the answer to
everything. As an example, we want to fight corruption, we rush off to use
technology by ensuring that payments are digital, but we forget that the
crooks will still use those same platforms as well.

I am told there are cartels in GoK with paybill Nos, as an example.

I also gave the Michuki rules as an example of committed leadership working
hand-in-hand with technology (Speed Governors)

The recomendations I now see are akin to saying we've got 3000 Kenyans
dieing by road accidents,  let slap speed governors everywhere. No much
thought on what else would be required, enforcement and no committed
leadership and in no time we back at square 0. Mwakwele showed us that!

On corruption, what difference would it make if we automated/digitised all
the GoKs payments while key GoK officials are operating multiple accounts
in Cayman Islands and we can't do any realistic wealth & lifestyle audits?

That to me is fighting corruption for the show or digitizing corruption!

Kivuva, you're right without technology I'd probably be out of a job, but,
like a good doctor I would tell you medicine is not your solution to lung
cancer, you've got to give up that cigarette.

Waithaka Ngigi

Alliance Technologies
Nairobi, Kenya

www.A1.io