[kictanet] Just a thought

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 13:36:19 EAT 2014

Forcing matatus to implement a cashless system may not be such a good idea.

What happens when the system is down or has delays? You break the law by
paying in cash?

How many cards will I need for seamless use of matatus, what if there are 5
different cashless systems?

The cashless system may also mean the  end of KSh. 10 fares. There are many
low income people who wait hours for fares to reach such levels (even
though you'll question the wisdom of waiting hours for a small fare change)

The cost of all this will be passed on to consumers in fare hikes, which
will esp impact low income earners.

I feel we have regulated the matatu industry too much. The government
should have opted for incentives for better ran matatus and disincentives
for the rest.

We should also work on a rail system as an alternative, which might spur
behaviour change in matatus.

Our love for regulation (I see Kenyans demanding to have fares, oil prices,
sugar prices, salaries, TV, news and everything else to be regulated) might
see us ending up with unintended consequences.

Regulated rent prices out houses from the poor, while Obama Care has
unintentionally resulted in cancer patients losing  insurance. If we
enforced minimum wage in Kenya, thousands will lose their jobs.

While regulation is often well intended, the negative consequences are
often unseen and far reaching.