[kictanet] Have we failed the nation yet again?

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 23 13:03:17 EAT 2013

Yes, it was a loaded question and as we morn let us not let the lesson be lost on how we could have been better prepared if not to stop the perpetrators but additionally to reduce the casualties.

1.  How did 15 or 20 armed men travel from where they where staying to the Mall without being noticed? Dark tinted windows which our leaders have kept fighting to retain, I have noted that all CS vehicles have total blackout tint yet the presidents car does not.  In addition we are busy installing obsolete surveillance equipment on our highways to give a perception of security, I hope those cameras will be able to pick up, in machine readable format, the registration numbers of vehicles.
2.  If someone had noticed the terrorists getting into the cars with the fire arms or as they drove along the various roads, note that they had long bore guns not hand guns that could fit under the chairs, which number would they have called to report what they had seen? A court order was issued requiring the police service to re-establish the 999 service which to date is being done in a rudimentary manner the meantime every police post, station and toll station has a different mobile number.
3.  As the attack was in progress was there any way to notify those who were inside and in the vicinity? No, because our selfish mobile providers and so called privacy experts insist that giving the government cross network access is infringing on our basic human rights.  The British government has finally decided that all that is hog wash and are implementing a location based solution that will not send me alerts about traffic on Uhuru Highway yet I am in Dondori (http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/public-sector/3469086/government-to-test-location-based-mobile-alerts-to-warn-public-of-emergencies/).   If we do not want to give the service to the government then maybe they would be willing to provide it to the Red Cross, they where one of the first groups on site.
4.  Thugs have learned to first neutralise CCTV storage equipment after raiding a premises what is the option? With all this noise about high speed broadband and cloud storage can the mobile service providers offer a special package allowing for realtime cloud storage of the captured information.

I am sure many of you out there can think of many other technology solutions that can mitigate against future similar attacks and the time to have them implemented is now not tomorrow, the stripping down required at international airports was implemented soon after 9/11 any delay would have made it impossible to do as consumer organisations would have had time to go to court.

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor