[kictanet] The core Internet institutions abandon the US Government | IGP Blog

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 22:24:04 EAT 2013

Walu,

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
> @Badru, Ali et. al,
>
> I support the need to share the unilateral oversight control that the US enjoys over the internet -

I know you know this, but what you are talking about is a Tri-Lateral
process.  IANA goes thru their rootzone change process, NTIA makes
sure the IANA followed their process, and Verisign actually makes the
change.

NB: This is NOT over the whole Internet, just over what is in the root
of the DNS.

Can I ask who do you want to "share" the NTIA role?  Could it be the
IETF?  Could it be the IAB?  or does it have to be an
intergovernmental body?

even though I doubt if it will come to pass in my lifetime :-)

> Moreover, I find the recent motivation for this multistakeholder approach (e.g. stop US spying) ill-informed. Am told Brazil is even going to the extend of building its own national email (yahoo) system, its own google, and maybe in future its own facebook, twitter, etc. Wherease this may satisfy national pride, it will not stop big brother US from spying on them or anybody else on this planet.
>
> Big brother is watching each of us from the air (drones, satellite, etc), from our offices (MS-Windows?), from our smartphones /tablets etc. Building your own "internet" will not stop spying  but may instead balkanize the internet into geographic silos similar to what we have in the real world.
>
> Spying is a well developed constitutional right in most democracies including ours (remember National Intelligence Security and now "Nyumab Kumi Concept?).  The best way to address big brother spying errands is - yes, to spy back on him.

or use strong crypto.
--
Cheers,

McTim