[kictanet] CCK PUSHES LOCAL FIRMS TO HOST WEBSITES LOCALLY

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Nov 28 12:14:05 EAT 2013

This is what Walu is talking about, it's easier to enforce LAWFULLY local
hosted content than that in the west. See this report from CIPESA.

My understanding is Western country companies have a very low opinion on
our judicial system. They NEVER obey court orders from these region.

http://www.cipesa.org/?wpfb_dl=65
http://www.cipesa.org/2013/09/online-freedoms-under-siege-as-african-countries-seek-social-media-users-information/
Online Freedoms Under Siege as African Countries Seek Social Media Users’
Information

Date posted: September 9, 2013

Only a small fraction of requests made by law enforcement officials to
Facebook, Google and Twitter for users’ identities or to block content
originate from Africa, but there is cause to worry.

Facebook, whose popularity across Africa is growing exponentially, lists
Botswana, Egypt, Ivory Coast, South Africa, and Uganda among the countries
that requested users’ details in the first half of 2013. Meanwhile, last
year saw seven African countries ask Google to remove content compared to
only one request from the continent – by Libya – in 2010 and 2011. The
beauty is that most of those requests were rejected.

No African country made a request for user account information either to
Google or Twitter in the first half of 2013.

*Facebook*

In the first half of 2013, Botswana made three requests to Facebook related
to seven users.  Egypt had eight requests regarding 11 accounts, the Ivory
Coast lodged four requests, Uganda one request and South Africa 14 requests
on nine users. All requests from Africa were denied.

*Table 1: Facebook Data Requests (**By Author from Facebook Global
Government Requests Report)
<https://www.facebook.com/about/government_requests>*
  *Country* *Total Requests* *Users/Accounts requested* *Compliance rate*
Botswana 3 7 0%  Egypt 8 11  Ivory Coast 4 4  Uganda 1 1  South Africa
14 9  *Global
Highest*  India 3,245 4,144 50%  United States of America 11,000 –
12,000 20,000
– 21,000 79%

*Google*

Eight African countries have made at least one content removal request to
Google since 2010. Djibouti’s 2012 request to block YouTube videos
containing the movie *Innocence of Muslims* on the grounds of “religious
offense” was rejected. But a similar request by Egypt was temporarily
complied with, because of the “difficult circumstances” in this country at
the time.

Meanwhile, a Kenyan request to remove content from blogger, arising out of
a court order in a defamation case, was rejected. The Island nation of
Mauritius made two content removal requests in the first half of 2012. Both
were for reasons of defamation; both were rejected. Madagascar’s two
requests were court-mandated on defamation grounds but Google accepted only
one. Sierra Leone made one request regarding 60 items on Youtube which it
wanted blocked as they portrayed or promoted violence. Google declined the
request, which was made by executive not court order.

In the first half of 2012, South Africa had three court-ordered removal
requests related to 11 items and Google fully complied. In the second half
of 2012, Pretoria made three court ordered requests related to eight items
and 33% was complied with. All South African requests were related to
defamation.

Previous Google reports show that in the period July – December 2010, Libya
made 68 requests for a total of 203 items to be removed from Youtube. Of
these requests, 31% were complied with, either by some or all of the
content being removed. In the subsequent six months, Libya’s two requests
regarding five items were denied. All of Libya’s requests were not backed
by a court order

*Twitter*

South Sudan, the continent’s youngest nation, is the only African country
that made a user information request to Twitter between July and December
2012. Juba’s request was denied.

*A Catalogue of Infringements*
While only a handful of African countries are making these requests, there
is nonetheless evidence of a worrying trend, in which African countries are
taking both legal and non-legal measures to curtail the freedoms of
individuals to express themselves on the internet.

The last year has seen a spiral of activity against online freedom of
expression in numerous African countries. In fact, 2013 might go down as a
record year in terms of curtails on internet rights on the continent.

Gambia has passed a
law<http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/07/12/new-internet-law-in-the-gambia-puts-gag-on-government-criticism/>under
which those who publish “false news” online about the government can
be handed a 15 year jail term and fined up to US$90,000. Meanwhile, Zambia
president Michael Sata’s government in July blocked access to the *Zambian
Watchdog *website<http://cpj.org/2013/07/in-zambia-harassment-of-watchdog-site-continues.php>,
accusing it of promoting hate speech. Two journalists arrested on suspicion
of working with the online publishers were due to appear in court. Another
website, *Zambia Reports, was blocked too. *Some observers said blocking
the websites was part of the government’s campaign to silence independent
critics.

Next door in Zimbabwe, security agencies spent several weeks in the run-up
to the July 2013 general elections looking for ‘Baba
Jukwa’<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/10178570/Mugabe-hunts-for-internet-mole-Baba-Jukwa-revealing-his-secrets.html>,
whose Facebook page published popular exposes of the excesses of President
Robert Mugabe’s government. Three weeks before election day, there were
reports Mr. Mugabe’s machinery had staked a US$300,000 bounty to unearth
the identity of the whistleblower as it moved to block access to the site.

There have also been cases of bloggers charged in court in Kenya and
others sought
by authorities<http://www.nation.co.ke/News/14-bloggers-linked-to-hate-messages/-/1056/1732288/-/cut5kvz/-/index.html>over
their Facebook, blogger and Twitter posts, amidst concerns that
authorities were infringing citizens’ right to free expression. The country
also asked internet intermediaries to monitor their
traffic<http://iwpr.net/report-news/tackling-online-hate-speech-kenya>for
messages deemed “inflammatory” or “divisive” in a move some observers
believed could be an invasion of privacy. Kenya has also ordered the
blocking of access to some websites, such as
Mashada<http://jameni.com/was-the-government-justified-in-shutting-down-mashada-com/>
.

Burundi – always a high-flying culprit in clamping on free expression – in
May ordered the online newspaper www.iwacu-burundi.org to block readers’
comments for 30 days, after
accusing<http://www.trust.org/item/20130531164503-qium7/?source%20=%20hppartner>it
of publishing comments that violated media law on “national unity,
public order and security, inciting ethnic hatred, defending criminal
activity and insulting the head of state.”

Perhaps more than any other country in Africa, Ethiopia regularly blocks
websites, undertakes surveillance of websites and social media, and charges
journalists over content published offline and online. In May 2013, the
Supreme Court upheld the conviction and 18-year prison sentence for
journalist and blogger Eskinder
Nega<http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/voices-in-danger-jailed-for-18-years-for-criticising-ethiopias-government-journalist-eskinder-nega-vows-to-keep-fighting-8644555.html>,
convicted last year of “terrorism acts” related to his writing. The
state-run telecom monopoly Ethiopia Telecom has for many years been
used to filter
content<https://opennet.net/blog/2012/11/update-information-controls-ethiopia>and
hundreds of websites remain blocked. These include blogs and websites
of a number of recently convicted individuals, news organisations,
political parties, bloggers, and international organisations.

In Uganda, where authorities have in the past ordered internet service
providers to block access to certain websites and services, the government
announced<http://www.cipesa.org/2013/06/ugandas-assurances-on-social-media-monitoring-ring-hollow/>it
would form a social media monitoring center “to weed out those who use
this media to damage the government and people’s reputations” and also
targeted at those “bent to cause a security threat to the nation.” Many
other countries on the continent have variously interfered with citizen’s
internet rights – many times unjustifiably.

The number of requests made by African countries is therefore not
reflective of the state of online freedom on the continent. This is because
most governments have unilateral means of dealing with situations they do
not like, without going through multilateral intermediaries. As we are
witnessing, they can enact national legislations, issue uncontested orders
to local intermediaries, or use extra-legal measures.

With more people on the continent getting online (mobile penetration in
Africa stands at 63%, internet usage at 16% of the population), governments
are likely to infringe more on citizens’ online freedoms. A challenge then
is to promote awareness about protecting and promoting online freedoms.
There is also a need to continuously promote responsible user behaviour
online, as not all state efforts to monitor citizens’ actions online are
unjustifiable.

Download the full OpenNet Africa Brief here<http://www.cipesa.org/?wpfb_dl=65>
.

To learn more about CIPESA’s OpenNet Africa project and its monitoring of
online freedoms, or to share an idea or report a violation, write to:
programmes at cipesa.org.

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya.
twitter.com/lordmwesh
google ID | Skype ID: lordmwesh