[kictanet] Day 2 Laptops project: What Educational Content would support the Knowledge Objectives above(examples of educ. content/software used)

Peter Kenduiywo pkenduiywo at jambo.co.ke
Thu Jun 13 15:27:43 EAT 2013

Barrack,

For effective implementation, it is not desirable that the traditional
system of teaching and learning be brought to a sudden death in January for
the children going to class 1. The policy as elucidated in the National ICT
Strategy for Education and Training makes it clear that the objective is to
integrate ICT in the delivery of existing education and training curricula.
In the beginning they should run concurrently and the traditional methods
be edged out gradually. For class one children, transforming teaching and
learning to incorporate new pedagogies that are appropriate for the
21st century
need to be given priority. At this stage, computer competencies come as
‘ugali saucer’ for the children and can be developed into a new curriculum
for assessment at a later stage.

For me the whole issue of laptops for standard one children revolves around
affordability, sustainability and inclusion in coming up with appropriate
technologies including development of content to deliver current curricula.

Peter