[kictanet] The connection between Big Data, Government Surveillance and Advertising

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Tue Jun 11 05:46:55 EAT 2013

Listers

What is the connection between Big Data, Government Surveillance and Advertising?

Increasingly privacy issues online are becoming a sore point. Where do you draw the line between privacy, civil liberties and 'National Security'?

These issues must be debated openly and candidly. Do I mind if the government accesses my most intimate DMs on Twitter in the interest of National Security?

Especially if you have a name like mine?

The recent Prism Scandal in the US where a CIA whistleblower has revealed that the Government of the US is increasingly snooping on all and sundry through telephone conversations, social media etc is raising the ante on this issue.

http://adage.com/article/privacy-and-regulation/prism-a-watershed-moment-privacy-legislation/242010/?utm_source=mediaworks&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=adage&ttl=1371493909

Where do we stand in Africa in general and Kenya in particular?

Sometime last year the former PS of Information made an impassioned case for a certain level
of surveillance because of our proximity and involvement in the 'War on Terror'.

What is your take?

Ali Hussein
CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd

+254 713 601113

"The future belongs to him who knows how to wait." - Russian Proverb

Sent from my iPad