[kictanet] Fw: [ISOC_KE] allAfrica.com: Kenya: Poghisio Appoints USF Board Members

John Kariuki ngethe.kariuki2007 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 22:13:46 EAT 2013

Dear listers,
As an old student of ICT regulation, I beg to differ with Mr. Mutoro on the issue of USF.
The debate on the role of regulator and the separation of the roles of (government,operators and regulator) is reasonably well settled globally.

The WTO, GATS
Reference Paper defines “Independent Regulator” as ‘separate from, and
not accountable to, any supplier of basic telecommunications services. The
decision of and the procedures used by regulators shall be impartial with
respect to all market participants’. EU directive 97/51 requires
the establishment of national regulatory agencies and puts the condition that
these: ‘shall be distinct
from and functionally independent of all organizations providing telecommunications
networks, equipments and services’. However,
“independence” from government does not mean independence from laws and
policies of a country[1].
The regulator would act at arms length from the government but will work
closely with all relevant government departments, including on international
negotiations[2].
[1]World Bank,
Telecommunications Regulation Handbook, Module  1
[2]UK Communications White Paper,http://www.dti.gov.uk

In our case in Kenya, the policy on USF is contained in Gazette Notice no.2431 dated 31st March,2006, Section 8.4 which was finalised after extensive public consultations, including a final stakeholders meeting attended by over 200 delegates which considered all inputs by stakeholders.
The Kenya Communications( Amendment ) 2008, Section 84 merely concretizes the ICT  policy guidelines which were agreed by all stakeholders.
As clearly stated in KCA 2008,Section 84K, apart from licensees, there are four(4) other sources of USF and I wonder if it is reasonable to demand that each contributor be represented in the Universal Service Advisory Council while  KCA 2008,section 102A clearly outlines  the composition of the body.

CCK is directly funded by operators(much more than USF) BUT it would be very strange if operators were granted positions in the CCK Board because of the " money" they contributed and the need to ensure their money is well spent.

 Mixing the roles of "Regulation" and "operations" , however well intentioned , will result in "Regulatory Capture" to the great  detriment of the very consumers we are trying to protect.

 More background material may be found in World Bank publication "Implementing Reforms in the Telecommunications Sector- Lessons from Experience"

John Kariuki