[kictanet] Slaying the Tribal Monster!

Victor Kapiyo vkapiyo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 18:54:22 EAT 2013

True Mwendwa.

Little is being done to enable people to embrace diversity. Valuable time
and effort is in my view, being spent castigating tribalism to the extent
that even the mention of one's ethnic origin in some quarters for example
is viewed negatively. I think NCIC has not done a good job on the former.
Plus, I guess some people can't tell the difference between tribe and
tribalism.

Gagging speech, changing names, or pretence will not help this country.

Therefore, free, constructive and open discussions on these subjects should
be embraced and encouraged.  In addition, civic education may still be
necessary to help people distinguish what constitutes +ve/-ve ethnicity or
tribalism, hate speech and to understand the extent and limit of their
freedom of speech.

Victor