[kictanet] Is CCK right to require firms to host websites locally?

Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 21:00:56 EAT 2013

Perhaps CCK can lead by example and move it's website to terra firma Kenya?

Sent from my mobile device, excuse brevity

On 3 Dec 2013, at 18:45, "Wambua, Christopher" <Wambua at cck.go.ke> wrote:

  Ali,

I wish to set the record straight on this matter.  What the DG said during
the COMESA cyber-security meeting was as follows:

·         That the CCK will soon delink itself from the governance of KENIC
in line with the requirement of the law. CCK is finalizing on the licensing
framework for the ccTLD business segment. As we have indicated on this list
before, the framework shall be subjected to stakeholder consultations as
soon as it is ready.

·         He also encouraged local firms and individuals to adopt the dot
ke domain names to ensure that we keep local traffic local.

We do not know where the reporter got the story of developing regulations
to compel firms and individuals to host their websites locally from.

Best regards,

*Christopher Wambua*

*Manager – Communications*

*Consumer and Public Affairs Department*

*Communications Commission of Kenya*

*P.O. Box 14448 NAIROBI 00800*

*Tel: +254 20 4242209*

*info at cck.go.ke <info at cck.go.ke>*