[kictanet] Is CCK right to require firms to host websites locally?

Adam Nelson adam at varud.com
Tue Dec 3 22:08:12 EAT 2013

Good one Phares :-)

But of course the problem is that hosting in Kenya is abysmal and won't get
better until Kili is off the ground and/or Angani is out of beta.  Until
then, there is no mature local hosting option.

In addition, tech thinkers in Kenya needs to think big and move beyond
talking about selling .ke domain names - that's all peanuts and de minimus
in the Internet economy.  There are a few people here who think that
Billion dollar (not shilling, dollar) global tech startups can be founded
in Nairobi and at least that's the ship I'm throwing my bag into.  The
government can help a bit but fundamentally, this needs to be an all hands
on deck effort where people push Kenya up the value chain in whatever way
they can.  I happen to have skills in cloud computing and can help launch a
public cloud.

Government agencies can do things like get corporate registration happening
online in under 3 business days, letting work visas get approved in a
timely manner, make paying taxes simple and without requiring much effort.

Community groups like iHub and Nairobi Dev School can keep on developing
young talent and bringing people together.

Companies like BRCK and Kopo Kopo can keep getting investment in here and
building locally based teams with global and local talent.

And we'll all get there step by step.

Cheers,
Adam

--