[kictanet] Is CCK right to require firms to host websites locally?

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Dec 3 23:02:18 EAT 2013

On 03/12/2013, Mark Elkins <mje at posix.co.za> wrote:
> As an outsider looking in....
>
> Adopting '.ke' should be the "Right Thing" to do. I'm sure DNSSEC
> adoption is well on the way.
>
> Of course - whether one chooses a "com" or a "ke" for a domain has no
> bearing on where it is hosted.... but remember that shillings spent on
> "ke" domains stay more or less in the country where as shillings spend
> on "com" leave the continent.

+1 Mark. I hope we are listening.

> Hosting within the country allows for local law to prevail over local
> content. This should be a good thing too. I'd have thought that as Kenya
> has a pretty well developed Internet Exchange Point - that if Content
> and eyeballs are both local - then the traffic will usually stay locally
> too - and be fast as well. That should only be good for the Internet
> industry.
>
> As long as people are sensible within a hosting environment, service
> should be every bit as good as from hosting overseas... I see no reason
> why local content delivery should not be protected by SSL (ie - run
> HTTPS Websites)... or why e-commerce should not be safe to run locally.
> What am I missing?
>
> As in South Africa, where I rent my own data centre space and have been
> hosting local (to South Africa) content for quite a while... I do see
> that local may cost more than say in the USA. This is largely due to
> economies of scales.. bit of a Chicken and Egg problem.
> There should be some fundamental advantages to Hosting locally though...
>
> Much faster downloads for the Customer.
> Advantages of speaking the same language
> Being close by
> No TimeZone differences
> Cost of local support calls and costs..
> The ability to go to the Data-Centre and see people face to face.
>
> .. and again, money paid stays local.

++1, we can only build capacity and scale by supporting our own data
centers. The quick wins of foreign hosting are sweet, but in the long
run, we are killing our tech industry! And there are many big
businesses in Kenya that can afford the premium prices charged
locally, that is why kili.io have seen the need.