[kictanet] Is Windows 8 a Trojan horse for the NSA? The German Government thinks so

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 26 18:53:03 EAT 2013

@Muraya,

I used to think Android is "open"?  Meaning the comparison to Windows would not be appropriate in that if someone sneaked in spy-software in Android, I (and many others) can sniff it out, but if someone sneaked in some spy software in Windows, only Microsoft and perhaps the US govt would know?

Incidentally what @Ikua raises in not far-fetched.  In 2010, it is widely believed the US /Israeli Governments unleashed a worm called "stuxnet" that chewed up the Iranian nuclear plants to a halt. The mode of delivery is also widely believed as being through one of the many regular Windows updates that we so faithfully do every week or month over the net.

In other words, most Listers here and across the globe do have the "stuxnet" worm on their machines but it is in sleep mode simply because their organisations do not run nuclear reactors with specific circuitry.  This worm was clever enough to only wake up upon sensing certain "signature" frequencies originating from certain circuitry that was dominant in Iranian nuclear reactors.

Obviously only Microsoft could be able to see the additional logic/payload in that particular update.  Contrast this to updates whose code is "open"...

For those technically inclined, you can pick up the story @

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet

walu.