[kictanet] Laptops for 2014 class 1 entrants - justified

Vitalis Olunga volunga at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 12 14:41:45 EAT 2013

If there is a policy in place for the last 7 years, then the Ministry of Education and other relevant Government institutions, i.e. Ministry of Ed KICD/KIE should lead the project. In any case, the policy should  not be narrowly focused to laptops and Class 1( 2014) even if it is for a start, as it is. The policy should at least  address computer for all public primary schools, if not secondary schools,  and should be long-term, even if implementation is to narrowed to Class 1 for a start. To be sustainable, the policy should broadly cover the computer for school inline with the government strategic plans.  Its formulation should be consultative and participatory in nature, giving an opportunity to all the stakeholders to be on board. This will enable alignment of the policy implementation  to its formulation at least to benefit all school pupils, not a chosen few. For strategy to be sustainable, it should be about choices, not sacred cows or
 politically driven projects, which often end up to be white elephants resulting into sunk-costs.
Why Laptops? Why not Computer Labs? Computer labs for every primary school will provide opportunity for sharing from class 1 to class 8. It will be less costly and easier to implement, and feasible to upgrade when required, even if it is to be done in phases. Also the teachers will not be trained  will to teach only class 1. Why train a few teachers to teach only class 1? This is pure waste of resources.
There was a time when the the government wanted to introduce mobile computer labs installed in vehicles, some kind of mobile buses in each constituency. The main argument was that the facility was to be shared by the schools within a constituency. This was being done without considering other challenges such as the nonexistence of or poor road network and nonavailability of electricity in rural areas. Luckily enough this project was abandoned before national resources were wasted. The baby was thrown out with water in basin. Laptops for each child without a classroom makes no senses particularly in rural areas where pupils are learning under trees and writing on the their laps or using dust on the ground as slates.  The laptop idea is noble but the computer labs is a better choice, at least every school may have what can be called a classroom  where there is none. A computer lab may be used not only for computer lessons. Of courser the suppliers of the
 laptops, bet it the Huaweis, ZTEs and the Sonys etc. will definitely support the the idea as they  will not only supply Laptops for Class 1 2014, but come 2015 and the subsequent years, there will be Class 1 every year as they continue with their supplies as Kenyans will be painfully paying as they laugh to the bank.

Regards

VKO