[kictanet] Music Piracy in Kenya - Government can Help

Bernard Kioko [Bernsoft Interactive Limited] bkioko at bernsoft.com
Thu Sep 27 21:11:15 EAT 2012

I am not very familiar with the licensing of pewahewa but this one thing is
for sure.

A song is owned by several parties;

1.       The person who sang owns their voice - called artist.

2.       The person who made the beats owns the beats - called composer.

3.       The person who writes the lyrics

4.       The person who pays the bills for production of the final song
(master) - called Record Label

For any song to be legally licensed these people must issue permission in
one way or another. To make it easy its organized as Publishing Rights (for
the first 2 rights) and Master Rights (for the second two).

So pewahewa would only be legal if they can demonstrate that they have these
these rights.

Many artists and producers don't even know this. This is what is killing the
music industry so on 15th October when you see our education campaign
"iCareforMusic" we will be hoping you all can sambaza the message.

I hope that's clearer.

Kind regards

Bernard