[kictanet] Music Piracy in Kenya - Government can Help

Tony Likhanga tlikhanga at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 15:26:01 EAT 2012

Thanks for the insight Ben.

If I looked at the license model from a very simplistic angle, would I, the
consumer, be making wrong assumptions  (especially in light of the local
market) if I were to use the price tag on the music as a pointer to the
legality of the product?

To illustrate this I'll use Eric Wainaina's music album on PewaHewa. The
album has 14 tracks each priced at Kes 30.

*Price tag on the original sealed CD copy of the music from Nakumatt
Supermarket = Kes 399.00*
*Price tag on the same Music bought from PewaHewa (Ignoring transaction
costs) = Kes 30 x 14 = Kes 420.00*

Am I misguided to conclude that I would be buying a legitimate copy of the
Album from an online source on the basis of this simplistic analysis? If
yes, then are there any controls that can be enforced on the online music
vendors who are likely exploit this approach.

Tony.