[kictanet] New Software to deepen spying on internet users

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 17:18:00 EAT 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Tomslin Samme-Nlar <s.tomsleen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> +1 on the concerns about the article

yes, it is badly written, conflating the NEWS spyware with IPv6.

IPv6 CAN be deployed so that end user addresses are not derived from MAC
addresses.   I wonder if the government is mandating the use of the 48 bit
MAC address in building the 64 bit v6 address??  I doubt they have gone
that far.

It's not just journos however, this quote:

“Any operator who opposes the move must know that they will soon be cut off
by international backbone operators,” said Sammy Buruchara, CEO Kenic, the
.ke registry and a Tespok member.

also seems suspect in that I don't know of any international provider who
will turn down money because a customer won't use IPv6.  We are still at
the point where it is hard to find international transit providers who will
provide native IPv6 connections in East Africa.

--
Cheers,

McTim