[kictanet] Online Imposters

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Thu Oct 18 14:02:44 EAT 2012

Important differentiation Alex. And I concede that impersonation within those parameters isn't necessarily harmful. What I mean here is the impersonation that has a deliberate harmful skew to it.

Regards

Ali Hussein
CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd

+254 773/713 601113

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 18, 2012, at 1:57 PM, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:

> + 1 Alex, i think the law looks at facts if it was commited for the
> wrong reasons then it ought to be punished.
>
> Best Regards
>
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Alex Comninos <alex.comninos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Impersonation is not illegal in certain contexts both online and
>> offline. For example one can impersonate someone for art like in a
>> play or for parody and satire. Additionally one can also (badly)
>> impersonate someone at a dress up party for instance. Whether the
>> impersonation actually leads people to believe that the person is
>> really the object of impersonation would of course have a bearing on
>> the law. Thus certain types of online impersonation - for obvious
>> parody for example should not be illegal online.
>>
>> Impersonation for parody or political commentary is an age old and
>> legal tradition. However in many instances politicians do not take
>> kindly to it. Impersonation under certain circumstances online should
>> also be protected.
>>
>> We must take care that policing online impersonation does not have
>> adverse side effects such on freedom of speech, and lead to a policing
>> of parody.
>>
>> The case of India could be an important case to look at
>> http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/internet/article3821584.ece
>>

>> Alex Comninos
>>

>> On 18 October 2012 00:39, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Good morning Listers
>>>

>>> Yesterday we had a stimulating debate on prosecuting hate speech online. Ali
>>> Hussein pointed out that what is wrong offline is also wrong online and gave
>>> the example of impersonation.
>>>

>>> Today, we want to focus our attention on online imposters.
>>>

>>> We have had cases of imposters creating facebook and twitter accounts of
>>> known personalities for example of the former government spokesperson Alfred
>>> Mutua, Comedian Churchill aka Mwalimu King’gang’ and several politicians.
>>> The police have also been impersonated on twitter.
>>>

>>> In such a case, where is the place of ethics and personal values especially
>>> when impersonating other people online? Is there a provision of personal
>>> values in our constitution or in any or our legislation that can provide
>>> guidance on how to handle online imposters? How should such matters be dealt
>>> with?
>>>

>>> Lets hear it from you. This is the second last day to contribute as we will
>>> be winding up this debate tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Have a wonderful day.
>>> Rgds
>>> Grace